We are a world-leading Centre of Excellence in Environmental Data Science, with a vision to grow a collaborative, trans-disciplinary community of environmental and data scientists. Our ambitions are:
- To seek novel data science techniques, or combinations thereof, to address the grand challenges in environmental science.
- To understand and capture the complexity in the natural environment through systems thinking.
- To support quantification and reasoning around end-to-end uncertainty.
- To seek adaptive strategies for sampling and modelling across different types of geospatial data.
- To achieve principled integration of different kinds of models, including process based and data-driven models.
- To incorporate techniques for reasoning across space and time, that are capable of operating across a range of spatial and temporal scales.
- To enhance the level of abstraction offered by underlying technological platforms.
- To foster new modes of working that facilitate trans-disciplinary collaboration.
- To enable a cultural shift towards open, transparent and collaborative science.