The Centre of Excellence in Environmental Data Science (CEEDS) is seeking to recruit two Early Career Representatives to join its leadership team. The role of these positions will be (1) to represent the Early Career community within CEEDS decision-making processes, and (2) to develop and lead activities designed to promote peer support, growth and development of the CEEDS ECR community.
We invite applications from postgraduate (pre-PhD submission), post-doctoral (less than 5 years post-PhD submission) or research associates, who are members of CEEDS and employed by either Lancaster University or UKCEH. It is expected that the successful candidates will take up this role for a minimum term of 1 year. Specific activities associated with the role include:
- To contribute to the promotion, development and monitoring of collaboration and research across UKCEH and Lancaster University in the environmental data science space.
- To develop an understanding of the needs of the ECR community, including identifying what CEEDS can reasonably do to best support them.
- To liaise between the CEEDS ECR community and the CEEDS leadership committee, to ensure that ECR’s have a voice in planning CEEDS activities.
- To ensure that ECR’s are appropriately represented in the CEEDS seminar series, as appropriate to the seminar topic.
- To organise at least one dedicated ECR activity per year. This should include an academic component as well as a social/networking component. The precise nature of the event should be determined by ECR’s.
CEEDS is a community of Environmental and Data Scientists; built upon the collective strengths of Lancaster University and the UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology. Our vision is to grow a collaborative, trans-disciplinary community, driven by a shared ambition to tackle the most pressing environmental challenges of our time. We believe that this can only be achieved by developing a new kind of science, that is open, collaborative, data-driven and integrative. Our philosophy is to break down traditional boundaries, foster new connections between disciplines and, in doing so, significantly expand knowledge and insight about the data-rich world that we inhabit. For more details about CEEDS, please visit our website.
How to apply
To apply for this post, please submit a short (maximum 1 page) case, comprising your experience, motivation and vision for the post, to CEEDS@ceh.ac.uk. The closing date for applications is 1st March 2021. Informal enquiries are welcome, please contact Paula, Mal or Gordon.